That icky stuff between the tiles are not only unattractive, but actually dirty. Having a homemade grout cleaner will take care of this issue really quickly.
You will need:
- About 45 minutes (half of that is waiting time)
- Rubber gloves
- a scrub brush or old toothbrush
- Safety Glasses
- Possibly a respirator if you are asthmatic or to be cautious
- 3/4 cup of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of bleach
How to scrub the grub:
- Mix the baking soda and bleach together in a bowl (preferably one you don’t use for food) until it forms a thick paste.
- Wearing rubber gloves and your brush/toothbrush apply the paste to the grubby lines between your tiles.
- Leave for about 15 minutes
- Taking your brush again give the lines another rub to really get the paste working
- Leave for another 15 minutes.
- Don’t panic if the grout looks darker when wet! This is normal
- Remove the paste with a wet sponge or shower head (if available)
- Leave to dry.
- All done!
Somewhat obvious, but important things to remember:
You are working with bleach. Wear old clothes to avoid staining.
Bleach dries out and cracks skin…the rubber gloves are your friend!
The safety glasses are there to protect your eyes from irritation.
Don’t use a sponge you are particularly fond of to wash the paste away… it won’t look as pretty when you’re done!